• Residents needing help with sandbagging for their property can call 887-6202. The same number can be called for information on location of sandbags. This phone in City Hall will be answered 24 hours a day until further notice.
• Red Cross Disaster Assistance: The Red Cross has opened a shelter in Bldg. A at the Johnson County fairgrounds (3149 Old Highway 218 So.). This shelter offers food and housing to those displaced by flooding. The shelter also accepts pet animals on an emergency basis (coordinated by the Iowa City Animal Care Division).
• The MidAmerican Energy phone number to call for shut-offs and other issues is 1-888-427-5632 (answered 24/7).
• Residents in flood-prone areas may wish to seek alternative shelter. When leaving a home prior to a flood, it is important to shut off the power and place a sand bag over the floor drain in the lower level. The City does not have the resources to assist with moving personal belongings.
• The city of Iowa City has sand and sand bags available at the Sand Lake Facility near the intersection of South Gilbert Street and McCollister Boulevard. The City has also placed sand and sandbags at the east end of Manor Drive and near the west end of Taft Speedway.
As of Tuesday, June 10 at noon, the City of Iowa City was encouraging individuals who want to help to:
Wish to Sandbag?
Go to area(s) urgently in need: Idyllwild Condos; Parkview Church, both near 15 Foster Rd.; (take I-80 exit 244- open to Foster Rd.); Thatcher & Baculis Mobile Home Parks at 2254 S. Riverside Dr.; commercial area of S. Gilbert so. of Hwy. 6; 111 Stevens Dr.; Commercial Dr. area. Also go to Dog Park (same route as to church above) to help sandbag City wells. Bring gloves and shovel if you have them.
For updates, head to the City of Iowa City Flood Watch page: